This site is intended for healthcare professionals

Go to /sign-in page

You can view 5 more pages before signing in

Go to /pro/cpd-dashboard page

This page is worth 0.05 CPD credits. CPD dashboard

Go to /account/subscription-details page

This page is worth 0.05 CPD credits. Upgrade to Pro

Mercury button battery ingestion

Last reviewed dd mmm yyyy. Last edited dd mmm yyyy

Authoring team

Mercury button batteries

If ingested button batteries may rupture in transit causing fatal poisoning and so the possibility of ingestion must be taken extremely seriously. Any patient who has swallowed such a toxic object, should be referred urgently for endoscopy.

Sharp objects

Most sharp objects, including open safety pins, will pass through the gut without harm. If there are indications that a sharp object is not passing through safely, refer the patient for endoscopy.

Related pages

Create an account to add page annotations

Annotations allow you to add information to this page that would be handy to have on hand during a consultation. E.g. a website or number. This information will always show when you visit this page.