Last reviewed 01/2018
- speech (1)
- is a motor act of communication through articulation of verbal expression (2)
- is the sound that originates in the mouth
- it should be differentiated from language
- language (1)
- is the knowledge of a symbol system used for communication between persons (2)
- is associated with meanings, rather than sounds
- is a measure of intelligence
- language delays are more serious than speech delays
- speech and language delays and disorders are the most common developmental problem among preschool children
- about 6% of 3 to 4 year old children show significant delay in speech development, the condition being more common in boys and often having a family history.
- speech delay is said to be present if speech development is significantly below the norm for children of the same age (2)
Note: There is a very wide range of normal development. For example the parents of a 2 year-old boy with obviously normal development but a vocabulary of only 10 to 20 words may be comparing him with the little girl of similar age in the same street but with a vocabulary of 200 words. Both are within the normal range.