referral criteria from primary care - suppurative OM
Last reviewed 01/2018
Indications for referral include:
- five episodes of acute otitis media over the winter months, or six episodes in a year
- uncertainty about the diagnosis
- acute otitis media associated with serous otitis media which has not responded to medical therapy
- immediate referral for specialist review is required if complications such as mastoiditis or facial paralysis (1)
Referral may be advisable in persons with craniofacial abnormalities (1).
- (1) British Columbia Medical Association (2004) Acute otitis media (AOM). British Columbia Medical Association.
- (2) BMJ (1997);315:98-102.
- (3) BMJ (1997), 315, 321-2.
- (4). BJGP 1998 ; 48 : 1861-64.