cancer pain relief
Last reviewed 01/2018
There are several important concepts in cancer pain relief:
- most cancer pain can be relieved with drugs
- an analgesic stepladder approach is usually appropriate
- chronic pain should be managed with oral analgesia - at least in the initial management of chronic pain
As with any pain the various elements that contribute to it should also be considered and treated specifically if appropriate.
- mental state, anxiety may exacerbate the perception of pain
- mechanical factors, ie the patient's posture, would splints or better seating/bed position help
- whether there are neurogenic or inflammatory elements to the pain.