driving and ascending, descending or abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA)
Last edited 06/2019 and last reviewed 05/2022
Aortic aneurysm - ascending or descending thoracic and/or abdominal
Group 1 entitlement:
- May drive and need not notify the DVLA if aneurysm diameter is less than 6cm
- May drive but must notify the DVLA if aneurysm diameter is between 6cm and
- May be relicensed/licensed subject to annual review
- Must not drive and must notify the DVLA if aneurysm diameter is 6.5cm or
- Licence will be refused or revoked.
- May be relicenced/licensed after successful surgical treatment without evidence of further enlargement and no other disqualifying condition.
- In cases of bicuspid aortopathy, maximum aortic diameter should be less than 6.5cm
Up-to-date details guidance may be obtained from the publication "At a Glance Guide to the Current Medical Standards of Fitness to Drive" and the website www.dvla.gov.uk.