danthron containing laxatives
Last reviewed 11/2019
- danthron is a stimulant laxative
- it is marketed as co-danthrusate (when combined with docusate) and co-danthramer (when combined with poloxamer '188')
- danthron is genotoxic and has been shown to be carcinogenic in rodent studies
- the Committee on Safety on Medicines (CSM) has advised that the use of danthron-containing products be restricted to constipation in the terminally ill patients of all ages
- Current Problems in Pharmacovigilance (2000), 26, 4.