Last reviewed 01/2018
- platyspondyly describes a flattened vertebral body shape with reduced distance beween the endplates
- may be generalised or localised
- if a single vertebra is only affected then this is known as vertebra plana
- congenital platyspondyly occurs in osteogenesis imperfecta type II. Also occurs in thanatophoric dysplasia and metatropic dwarfism.
- platyspondyly developing in later childhood in conditions such as Morquios disease, spondyloepiphyseal dysplasia tarda and Kniests dysplasia