general contraindications to the progesterone only contraceptive pill
Last edited 03/2021 and last reviewed 10/2021
Criteria for Exclusion of POP:
- Consent not given.
- Individuals under 16 years of age and assessed as not competent using Fraser Guidelines.
- Individuals 16 years of age and over and assessed as lacking capacity to consent.
- Known or suspected pregnancy.
- Known hypersensitivity to the active ingredient or to any constituent of the product - see Summary of Product Characteristics
- Individuals using enzyme-inducing drugs/herbal products or within 4 weeks of stopping them.
- Acute porphyria
- Current or past history of ischaemic heart disease, vascular disease, stroke or transient ischaemic first attack only if taking the method when the event occurred.
- Current or past history of breast cancer.
- Benign liver tumour (hepatocellular adenoma).
- Malignant liver tumour (hepatocellular carcinoma).
- Severe decompensated cirrhosis.
- Any bariatric or other surgery resulting in malabsorption.
Interacting medicines (other than enzyme inducers) –-see current British National Formulary (BNF) www.bnf.org or individual product SPC http://www.medicines.org.uk
- Patient Group Direction (PGD) (NHS Specialist Pharmacy Service). Supply of a progestogen only contraceptive pill (POP) . (Accessed 18th March 2021).