Astemizole is a selective non-sedative histamine blocker.
- weight gain occasionally occurs with prolonged treatment.
- astemizole has the potential to induce ventricular arrhythmias
- high blood levels of astemizole can occur in paients with hepatic disease or patients treated with drugs that result in inhibition of the cytochrome P450 enzymes
- patients treated with drugs which prolong the QTc interval or with preexisting QTc interval prolongation may also develop ventricular arrhythmias when astemizole blood levels are in the therapeutic range
- astemizole has been withdrawn by its manufacturers on a worldwide basis because of this potential to cause ventricular arrhythmias
- Current Problems in Pharmacovigilance (February 1999), 25, 1-4.
Last reviewed 01/2018