The cause of pancreatic carcinoma is unknown.
The following risk factors are known to be associated with the development of pancreatic carcinoma:
- increased BMI
- chronic pancreatitis
- family history of pancreatic cancer
- familial cancer syndromes
- BRCA1, BRCA2
- familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP)
- Peutz-Jeghers syndrome
- Lynch syndrome
- von Hippel-Lindau syndrome
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1
- other medical conditions
- inflammatory bowel disease
- periodontal disease
- peptic ulcer disease (1)
Certain industries seem to impart a high risk to their workers; occupational exposure to coal gas and aluminium increase the risk.
Coffee consumption is no longer considered to be a risk factor.
Last reviewed 01/2022