Last reviewed 01/2018

About 20% of cases of schizophrenia enjoy a complete and enduring remission, while 30% have relatively minor long term problems, making a total of about 50% who can said to have a good outcome. About 15% have a very poor outcome, with severe social deterioration. The remaining 35% require at least intermittent psychiatric care, but have the potential to lead fulfilling lives in the community.