Bezafibrate Infarction Prevention Study
Last reviewed 12/2019
- double-blind, placebo-controlled trial
- 3,090 patients with coronary heart disease (CHD) aged < 74 years (2,825 men, 265 women)
- on entry total cholesterol 4.7 mmol/L-6.5mmol/L, triglyceride <3.4 mmol/L, HDL-c <1.16 mmol/L
- treatment - bezafibrate 400mg per day or placebo
- mean follow-up 6.2 years
- no significant effect of bezafibrate on combined incidence of non-fatal
MI or death from CHD
- post-hoc subgroup analysis indicated the possibility of a substantially greater benefit of bezafibrate in the subset of patients with a baseline plasma triglyceride > 2.25 mmol/L - in this subgroup event rate was 12.0% in the bezafibrate group and 19.7% in the placebo group (relative reduction of 39% (p=0.02))
- Circulation. 2000 Jul 4;102(1):21-7.
- The British Journal of Diabetes and Vascular Disease 2003; 3(3): 162-7.