FREE subscriptions for doctors and students... click here
You have 3 more open access pages.
Labour can be somewhat coldly described as process by which the products of conception are expelled from the mother. Natural labour can be thought of as having three components: power, passages, and passengers.
- primary involves uterine contractions
- secondary involves voluntary muscles of the
- diaphragm and abdominal walls
- bony: pelvic bone (see "pelvimetry")
- soft: uterus, vagina, vulva, supporting tissues
- passengers: the fetus (see "presentation"), placenta and membranes
Last reviewed 01/2018