FREE subscriptions for doctors and students... click here
You have 3 more open access pages.
For a comprehensive list consult the relevant appendix in the BNF.
Examples of drugs with a high potentiating effect for warfarin treatment include:
- cardiovascular - amiodarone, clofibrate, quinidine
- infections - metronidazole, co-trimoxazole, aminoglycosides
- gastrointestinal tract - cimetidine, antacids (magnesium salts), liquid parrafin and other laxatives
- endocrine - thyroxine, glucagon, anabolic steroids, danazol, corticosteroids, chlorpropamide, propylthiouracil, tolbutamide
- rheumatological - azapropazone, aspirin, salicylates, allopurinol
- central nervous system - chloral hydrate and related compounds, chlorpromazine, tricyclic antidepressants, dextropropoxyphene
- malignancy - tamoxifen
- nutrition - alcohol (dose dependent potentiator)
- other - disulfiram, interferon
Last reviewed 01/2018