FREE subscriptions for doctors and students... click here
You have 3 more open access pages.
- moderate hypercholesterolaemia with normal HDL levels
- familial hypercholesterolaemia.
- 12-24g daily in single or divided doses
Side effects include:
- complete biliary obstruction
- folic acid supplements may be required, particularly if maximal doses are used.
- avoid taking other medications with cholestyramine;at least 1 hour before and 4 hours after, should separate ingestion of cholestyramine from that of other drugs with other drugs taken ideally first. - malabsorption of other drugs may occur, particularly: - thyroid hormones - fat soluble vitamins - oral contraception failure may occur
- Cholestyramine can be mixed with food, particularly muesli or fruit juice to enhance compliance. Avoid mixing with carbonated drinks.
Last reviewed 01/2018