FREE subscriptions for doctors and students... click here
You have 3 more open access pages.
This is a gross abnormality of nail growth. This disorder usually affects the big toe nail:
- the nail of the great toe becomes greatly thickened and distorted
- usually seen in elderly patients
- may occur following trauma
Nail cutting with conventional nail clippers becomes nearly impossible. Onychogryphosis is probably caused by previous trauma to the nail bed.
- chiropody: grinding of the nail at regular intervals
- surgical: removal of the nail and ablation of the nail bed
Last reviewed 08/2018