FREE subscriptions for doctors and students... click here
You have 3 more open access pages.
Sixty percent of complications occur before 10 years of age.
- presents in a similar way to acute appendicitis
- uncommon in children under 10 years of age
- diagnosed at laparotomy
- bleeding - if heterotopic gastric mucosa is present, it may be detected by 99m Tc scanning
- vitellointestinal band
- perforation - a foreign body may get trapped
- neoplasms - rarely, leiomyosarcoma, carcinoid, melanoma and adenocarcinoma
- patent vitellointestinal duct - purulent discharge in infancy or a faecal fistula
Last reviewed 01/2018