FREE subscriptions for doctors and students... click here
You have 3 more open access pages.
- speech (1)
- is a motor act of communication through articulation
of verbal expression (2)
- is the sound that originates in the mouth
should be differentiated from language
- language (1)
is the knowledge of a symbol system used for communication between persons (2)
- is associated with meanings, rather than sounds
- is a measure
- language delays are more serious than speech delays
speech and language delays and disorders are the most common developmental problem
among preschool children
- about 6% of 3 to 4 year old children show significant
delay in speech development, the condition being more common in boys and often
having a family history.
- speech delay is said to be present if speech
development is significantly below the norm for children of the same age (2)
There is a very wide range of normal development. For example the parents of a
2 year-old boy with obviously normal development but a vocabulary of only 10 to
20 words may be comparing him with the little girl of similar age in the same
street but with a vocabulary of 200 words. Both are within the normal range.
Last reviewed 01/2018