FREE subscriptions for doctors and students... click here
You have 3 more open access pages.
- used as either an aphrodisiac or for the treatment of male impotence (1,2)
- "...compared with placebo Yohimbine may be more effective at improving
self-reported sexual function and penile rigidity at 2 to 10 weeks ( very
- adverse effects (2,3):
- review (3) reported that adverse effects were generally minor and reversible,
and included agitation, anxiety, headache, mild increase in blood pressure,
increased urinary output, and gastrointestinal upset
- Yohimbine was associated with a higher proportion of adverse events
compared with placebo (10-30% with yohimbine v 5-16% with placebo; significance
assessment not performed)
- two men withdrew from the subsequent crossover RCT because of a hypertensive
crisis in one and severe palpitations in the other (2)
- yohimbe has central alpha adrenoceptor actions which can cause tachycardia,
atrial fibrillation, hypertension and chest pain (1)
- can reduce the effectiveness of CNS acting anti-hypertensives including
methyldopa and clonidine through its effects on central alpha2 receptors (1)
- British Heart Foundation (9/2003). Herbs and the Heart.
M, Goldstein I. Erectile dysfunction.Clin Evid (Online). 2011 Jun 29;2011.
E, Pittler MH.Yohimbine for erectile dysfunction: a systematic review and
meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. J Urol 1998;159:433-436.
Last reviewed 01/2018