FREE subscriptions for doctors and students... click here
You have 3 more open access pages.
Risk of malignancy index (RMI)
RMI I is a product of the ultrasound scan score (U), menopausal status (M)
and serum CA125 level.
RMI I = U x M x CA125
- The ultrasound result is scored 1 point for each of the following characteristics:
- multilocular cysts, solid areas, metastases, ascites, bilateral lesions
- U = 0 for an ultrasound score of 0 points,
- U = 1 for an ultrasound score of 1 point,
- U = 3 for an ultrasound score of 2-5 points
- Menopausal status is scored as 1 = pre-menopausal and 3 = post-menopausal.
The classification of 'post-menopausal' is a woman who has had no period for
more than 1 year or a woman over 50 who has had a hysterectomy
- Serum CA125 is measured in IU/ml
If RMI >= 250 then must be referred to a specialist multidisciplinary
Last reviewed 01/2018