FREE subscriptions for doctors and students... click here
You have 3 more open access pages.
Was there impact with the ground, an opponent or other structure?
- most anterior cruciate ligament tears are non-contact twisting injuries
- blow to the anterior aspect of knee
- blow to the hyperextended knee:
- causes include anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) or posterolateral
- blow to flexed knee (such as in a dashboard injury):
- causes include posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) injury
- blow to the lateral aspect of knee (valgus injury)
- results in sudden stretching of medial-sided knee structures
- superficial medial collateral ligament most at risk for injury
- blow to the medial aspect of knee (varus injury)
- increases stress on the outside of the knee
- possible posterolateral corner injury
Last reviewed 01/2018