FREE subscriptions for doctors and students... click here
You have 3 more open access pages.
- if the dose of a statin is doubled then there is an approximate 6% increase
in LDL lowering efficacy by doubling the dose - the so-called 6 percent
- for example
- rosuvastatin statin 5mg produces an approximate LDL reduction of
40% - if the dose of rosuvastin is doubled to 10mg then there is an
approximate 46% LDL reduction expected with this dose of rosuvastatin
- pravastatin 20mg produces an approximate LDL reduction of 24% -
if the dose of pravastatin is doubled to 40mg then there is an approximate
30% LDL reduction expected with this dose of pravastatin
- the "6 percent rule" holds approximately for all statins
- J Am Coll Cardiol. 2003;42(2):398-399
- Personal opinion - Jim McMorran (29/3/13). GP with Specialist Interest in
Diabetes and Lipids (Coventry PCT) and Editor GPnotebook.
Last reviewed 04/2020