aetiology of constipation in infants and children
Last reviewed 01/2018
Causes of constipation in infants and children may be caused include:
- functional or idiopathic constipation
- anal fissure
- meconium ileus equivalent
- severe vomiting
- polyuria - causing dehydration in conditions such as diabetes insipidus
or diabetes mellitus
- congenital absence of abdominal muscles - Prune Belly syndrome
- cow's milk intolerance
Constipation may occur if there is inadequate food or fluid intake, while children who drink a lot of milk may have hard stools that are difficult to pass (1).
- (1) Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin (2000), 38 (8), 57-60.