mercury button battery ingestion

FREE subscriptions for doctors and students... click here
You have 3 more open access pages.

Mercury button batteries

If ingested button batteries may rupture in transit causing fatal poisoning and so the possibility of ingestion must be taken extremely seriously. Any patient who has swallowed such a toxic object, should be referred urgently for endoscopy.

Sharp objects

Most sharp objects, including open safety pins, will pass through the gut without harm. If there are indications that a sharp object is not passing through safely, refer the patient for endoscopy.

Last reviewed 01/2018

Links: