amelanotic malignant melanoma
A small but significant proportion of melanoma may present without any pigmentation which are labeled as amelanotic melanoma (1).
- it may occur in any of the four clinico-pathological variants
- their prognosis is poor since they are frequently recognised late
- present as erythematous papules or nodules, lacking significant pigmentation
- commonly seen on acral areas such as the feet (1)
- (1) Bristow IR et al. Clinical guidelines for the recognition of melanoma of the foot and nail unit. J Foot Ankle Res. 2010;3:25
Last reviewed 01/2018