Carvedilol is a mixed beta- and alpha-1 adrenoceptor antagonist.
Carvedilol has been licensed for treatment of:
- doses 6.25 to 25 mg twice daily
- symptomatic heart failure:
- in patients with stable heart failure
- mild to moderate symptoms (NYHA II to III)
- start on 3.125 mg twice daily for two weeks
- double dose at 2 weekly intervals to the maximum of 25 mg twice daily (1)
Check the summary of product characteristics before prescribing this drug.
- Packer, M. et al. (1996). The effect of Carvedilol on morbidity and mortality in patients with chronic heart failure. New Engl. J. Med. 334, 1349-55.
Last reviewed 01/2018