loud second (2nd) heart sound
Loud second heart sounds can be loud A2 or a loud P2.
- loud A2 occurs in systemic hypertension where there is a dilated proximal
- a loud P2 is heard in pulmonary hypertension
- a loud P2 occurs in an atrial septal defect without pulmonary hypertension.
This is caused by a sharp rise and fall of pulmonary arterial pressure
- in thin-chested people with a forward projecting aorta
- Kirby B (1993).Clinical examination of the heart. Medicine International, 21(8), 294-99.
Last reviewed 01/2018