The thenar space is one of the three deep palmar spaces. It is rarely the site of hand infections. The fibrofatty space contains the first lumbrical muscle.
- ulnarly: midpalmar septum from border of palmar aponeurosis to palmar border of third metacarpal bone
- radially: fascia of adductor pollicis longus muscle
- dorsally: adductor pollicis
- volarly: flexor tendons of index finger
- distally: margin of synovial sheath of index finger
- proximally: distal margin of carpal tunnel
The thenar eminence demarcates the thenar space on the palmar surface.
Last reviewed 01/2018