meningitis (meningococcal killed vaccine)
- this polysaccharide (non-conjugated) vaccine is made from the outer capsules of serogroup group A,C,W135 and Y Neisseria meningitidis organisms
- meningococcal vaccine is a purified, heat stable, lyophilised extract from outer capsule of meningococcus serogroups A, C, Y and W135
- in teenagers, both vaccines produce high levels of bactericidal antibodies to all four serogroups
- response to MenC is good, regardless of the MenC vaccine received as a child
- confers no protection against group B organisms
- this vaccine is recommended for travellers to some countries
Check uptodate details in the The Green Book before prescribing/administering a quadrivalent (ACWY) polysaccharide vaccine.
Check the Summary of Product Characteristics (SPC) before prescribing/administering a quadrivalent (ACWY) polysaccharide vaccine.
Last edited 04/2019