bleomycin injection for warts
Bleomycin has both an antiviral and antineoplastic action.
Intralesional bleomycin is a management option only employed by a specialist.
This treatment option should be considered as a third-line treatment for warts on hands and feet.
- two trials have shown a wart induced clearance of up to 92% for one to four injections
- the injection is very painful - will only be tolerated when given under a local anaesthetic
- if bleomycin is injected intradermally into the fingers then there is a risk of persistent Raynaud's phenomenon, permanent nail dystrophy and nail loss (2)
- Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin 1998; 36 (3): 22-24
- Prescriber 2004; 5(24):36-44.
Last reviewed 01/2018