sharp object ingestion
Mercury button batteries
If ingested button batteries may rupture in transit causing fatal poisoning and so the possibility of ingestion must be taken extremely seriously. Any patient who has swallowed such a toxic object, should be referred urgently for endoscopy.
Most sharp objects, including open safety pins, will pass through the gut without harm. If there are indications that a sharp object is not passing through safely, refer the patient for endoscopy.
Last reviewed 01/2018