side effects of oral iron treatment
Last reviewed 01/2018
Side effects are the main reasons why there is poor compliance.
- taking the dose after meals may reduce the side effects
- gastrointestinal side effects are not dose related
- modified release preparations should be avoided since iron is often released after passing the small bowel absorption site (1).
- abdominal discomfort
- constipation or diarrhoea
- turn faeces black
- with parenteral injections
- iv injections of iron should not be given to patients with a history of asthma - allergic reactions can occur; these may occur, though less readily, with im iron injections
- metallic taste in the mouth
- lymph node enlargement