history taking(general principles)
The general format of a history of from a patient should take the form:-
- c/o - the reason why the patient is seeking help from a medical practitioner
- hpc - a chronological record of the complaint
- functional enquiry - systematic record of the functioning of organ systems not covered in the history of presenting complaint
- past medical history
- drug history - current medication; also known allergies
- family history - information related to hereditary illnesses
- social history - important information relating to the social situation of the patient.
This part of the database is adapted from:- R. Turner, R. Blackwood, R. Jones; Guide to History and Examination for Clinical Students; Oxford University Medical School publication.
Last reviewed 01/2018