Last reviewed 01/2018
Streptomycin is an antibiotic derived from Streptomyces griseus.
- tuberculosis, where drug resistance is suspected
- increase dose interval in renal impairment. If the impairment is severe the dose itself should also be reduced
- beware drug interactions (see current issue BNF)
- myasthenia Gravis - aminoglycosides may impair neuromuscular transmission; indeed large doses given during surgery may be responsible for a transient myasthenic syndrome
- vestibular damage
- reversible nephrotoxicity
NB. Both vestibular and renal toxicity are dose related and occur most often in the elderly and in those with renal impairment.
- hypomagnesaemia in prolonged therapy
- pseudomembranous colitis
- hypersensitivity reactions
- paraesthesia of the mouth
Route of administration:
- i.m. injection
The summary of product characteristics should be consulted before prescribing this drug.