- two to four new cases occur per 100,000 people per year for bipolar affective
- the above means that about 1 in 200 people will suffer a hypomanic episode at some time in their lives
- peak age at first diagnosis of bipolar disorder is 25-30 years, but many patients have had affective episodes in adolescence or early adulthood
- 15-20% of patients with the disorder commit suicide, with acute depressive and mixed episodes being the periods of greatest
- Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin 2005; 43(4):28-31.
Last reviewed 01/2018