This site is intended for healthcare professionals
Login | Register (NOW FREE)

Medical search

tricyclic antidepressant overdose

FREE subscriptions for doctors and students... click here
You have 3 open access pages.

Mild to moderate poisoning usually occurs when more than 10 mg/kg of tricyclic is ingested. Such patients may present with dilated pupils, dry mouth, drowsiness, sinus tachycardia, urinary retention, increased tendon reflexes, and extensor plantar responses.

Severe poisoning usually occurs when more than 15 - 20 mg/kg is ingested. These patients often present with fits, coma, and cardiac arrhythmias. Death from cardiac arrest may also occur.

Symptoms usually appear within 30 to 60 minutes of ingestion, and reach their peak intensity within 4 to 12 hours.

Death is rare when less than 1 g is ingested.

About 7% of all suicides are antidepressant related.

Links:

The information provided herein should not be used for diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical practitioner should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Copyright 2016 Oxbridge Solutions LtdĀ®. Any distribution or duplication of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. Oxbridge Solutions LtdĀ® receives funding from advertising but maintains editorial independence. GPnotebook stores small data files on your computer called cookies so that we can recognise you and provide you with the best service. If you do not want to receive cookies please do not use GPnotebook.