laryngeal web

FREE subscriptions for doctors and students... click here
You have 3 more open access pages.

A laryngeal web is a congenital disorder due to partial canalisation of the epithelial lamina between the vestibulotracheal canal above, and the pharyngotracheal canal below. 75% are sited in the glottis, the remaining 25% in the supra- or sub-glottis.

Most are situated anteriorly, involving a variable length of the vocal cord. They are often thick and fibrotic, and may cause severe stridor and airway obstruction.

Small laryngeal webs rarely require treatment. Larger, symptomatic ones may be removed by an endoscopic laser or knife.

Last reviewed 01/2018