The condition was thought to be a rare medical condition until large epidemiological studies have indicated that 0.3-1% of school age children fulfill established diagnostic criteria for this condition (1).
- it affects around one in every 100 people. and an estimated 200 000-330 000 people are affected by Tourette's syndrome in the UK (1,2)
- mean age at onset is 6-7 years old (3)
- boys are more likely to be affected by Tourette's syndrome than girls (four times more prevalent in males than in females)
About two thirds of two thirds of patients will improve symptoms by adulthood but the the syndrome affects health related quality of life
- (1) Cavanna AE, Seri S.Tourette's syndrome. BMJ. 2013;347:4964.
- (2) NHS 2013. Tourette's syndrome
- (3) Cavanna AE et al.The behavioral spectrum of Gilles de la Tourette syndrome. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2009;21(1):13-23
Last reviewed 01/2018