causative organisms in paediatric pneumonia
Examples of different types of pneumonia in childhood:
- viral - any child, especially younger than 1 year
- Pneumococcal - older child, lobar, accounts for 90% paediatric bacterial pneumonia
- Haemophilus - all ages
- Staphylococcal - under 1 year, debilitated, weakened infants.
- Mycoplasma - older children, ages 5 to 15.
- Pneumocystis - in immunocompromised child (or adult)
In infants less than three months of age, the section on neonatal pneumonia should be consulted.
Several pathogens may co-exist in a sick child, one common combination is Chlamydia and Cytomegalovirus.
Last reviewed 01/2018