This site is intended for healthcare professionals
Login | Register (NOW FREE)

Medical search

overdose of salicylates

FREE subscriptions for doctors and students... click here
You have 3 open access pages.

Aspirin is the most common salicylate in regular use and poisoning is common. In adults, moderate to severe toxicity may occur after taking 50 x 300 mg tablets.

Salicylates may also be found in:

  • oil of wintergreen - contains methylsalicylate; this is particularly toxic by mouth as it is rapidly absorbed; 1 teaspoonful is equivalent to 12 x 300 mg tablets of aspirin
  • various keratolytic agents eg. salicylic acid

Normally aspirin is rapidly absorbed from the stomach and the small intestine but in large doses, clearance and absorption may be slowed as the tablets adhere to form a large bolus. Blood salicylate levels may continue to rise for up to 24 hours after a massive overdose.

Toxicity occurs above 250 mg per litre.

Links:

The information provided herein should not be used for diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical practitioner should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Copyright 2016 Oxbridge Solutions LtdĀ®. Any distribution or duplication of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. Oxbridge Solutions LtdĀ® receives funding from advertising but maintains editorial independence. GPnotebook stores small data files on your computer called cookies so that we can recognise you and provide you with the best service. If you do not want to receive cookies please do not use GPnotebook.