low molecular weight heparin for acute ischaemic stroke
Low molecular weight heparin has been trialled for the treatment of acute ischaemic stroke:
- 312 patients within 48 hours of onset of ischaemic stroke
- randomised to 4100 U of LMWH once or twice daily or placebo
- treated for 10 days
- followed for 6 months
The rates of mortality or dependency at 6 months were:
- 45% for the twice daily LMWH group
- 52% for the once daily LMWH group
- 65% for the placebo group
The rates of haemorrhagic transformation were the same.
- Kay, R. et al. (1995). Low-molecular-weight heparin for the treatment of acute ischemic stroke. NEJM, 333, 1588-93.
Last reviewed 01/2018