Last reviewed 01/2018
Tissue diagnosis of suspected lung cancer is indicated to:
- resolve diagnostic uncertainty
- help plan appropriate therapy
- flexible fibre-optic bronchoscopy - but specimens may be small and are easily crushed
- cytology of sputum, pleural fluid, bronchial brushings, washings obtained at bronchoscopy
- percutaneous needle aspirate or biopsy
However, specimens may be subject to a high degree of sampling error and be unrepresentative of the entire tumour as such lesions are often highly heterogenous.