measurements of intracardiac pressure with cardiac cath.
- aortic valve - a gradient of 50 mmHg indicates moderate stenosis, and 70 mmHg or more indicates severe stenosis
- mitral and tricuspid stenosis - 10 mmHg is moderate stenosis, 15 mmHg is severe
- in dilated cardiomyopathy the end diastolic pressure, or EDP, is raised
- in restrictive cardiomyopathy - the EDP of both ventricles is raised
- HOCM - may be a pressure load in within the left ventricle. The gradient can be increased by a reduction reduction in afterload, or by ionotropic stimulation, for example, by isoprenaline.
Pericardial disease is best demonstrated by echocardiography.
Last reviewed 11/2021