prevention of infection
Last reviewed 01/2018
Most dental disease is preventable and patients with congenital heart disease should receive optimal preventive dental care from an early age. However, too few children with heart defects are registered for regular dental care. Few appear to receive advice at cardiology clinics.
There are four simple ways to avoid dental disease
- (1) both solid and liquid sugar intakes should be restricted
- (2) teeth and gums should be thoroughly cleaned once a day using fluoride toothpaste
- (3) drinking water should be fluoridated or fluoride supplements considered
- (4) regular dental examination should take place
- Factfile (12/97), British Heart Foundation.