Last reviewed 01/2018
- HDL cholesterol:
- male 0.9 to 1.4 mmol/l
- female 1.2 to 1.6 mmol/l
- total cholesterol to HDL:cholesterol ratio
- positive cardiac risk factor if ratio 4
Patient advice (1)
- an ideal level of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) is above 1mmol/L. A lower
level of HDL can increase your risk of heart disease
- your ratio of total cholesterol to HDL may also be calculated. This is your total cholesterol level divided by your HDL level. Generally, this ratio should be below four, as a higher ratio increases your risk of heart disease.
- NHS Choices (accessed 5/4/2014). HDL - diagnosis.