Last reviewed 01/2018
Magnetic resonance imaging is a non-invasive method of obtaining images of different parts of the body. It is a safe technique and, except in a few circumstances, contrast agents are not required.
Absolute contraindications to MRI
- Pacemaker or cardiac defibrillator
- Cochlear implant
- Orbital or spinal metallic foreign body
- Untested intracranial aneurysm clips
- Infusion pumps
- Implanted drug infusion ports
- 1) Arthritis Research UK (Summer 2013). Hands on - Musculoskeletal imaging for GPs.