Last reviewed 12/2022
Possible investigations include:
- bloods - full blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, CRP, LFTs including albumin
- endoscopy, during which the following can be performed:
- biopsy if indicated
- dilatation, which is the treatment of choice in peptic stricture, achalasia and webs
- insertion of a percutaneous gastrostomy
- laser therapy to carcinomas smaller than 8 cm
- stent insertion in carcinomas larger than 8 cm
- barium swallow
Oesophageal motility studies may be indicated in some cases.
The patient presenting with dysphagia satisfies the urgent referral guidance - see linked item.