Medical Research Council dyspnoea scale for grading the degree of a patient's breathlessness
- 1. Not troubled by breathlessness except on strenuous exercise
- 2. Short of breath when hurrying or walking up a slight hill
- 3. Walks slower than contemporaries on the level because of breathlessness, or has to stop for breath when walking at own pace
- 4. Stops for breath after about 100 m or after a few minutes on the level
- 5. Too breathless to leave the house, or breathless when dressing or undressing (1)
This scale does not measure breathlessness itself, but the disability caused by breathlessness (1).