Differential diagnosis includes:
- nocturnal leg cramps
- peripheral neuropathy
- peripheral vascular diseases
- akathisia (1)
- intermittent claudication
- painful legs/toes
- attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder in children
- anxiety/generalised anxiety disorder (2)
- periodic movements of sleep (PMS) in the legs (3)
- 1. Bayard M et al. Restless legs syndrome. AFP 2008;78(2)
- 2. RLS-UK/Ekbom Syndrome Association. What is Restless legs syndrome?
- 3. O'Keeffe S.T. Secondary causes of restless legs syndrome in older people. Age and Ageing 2005;34:349-352.
Last edited 09/2021