returning to work after breast cancer surgery
|Condition||Recommended return to non-manual work||Recommended return to manual work|
|Breast benign lumpectomy||1-2 days||2 weeks|
|Breast cancer wide local excision and sentinel node biopsy *||1-2 weeks||2-3 weeks|
|Breast cancer wide local excision or mastectomy and axillary clearance *||4-6 weeks||8-12 weeks|
* Assuming no adjuvant therapy which can substantially delay recovery. Psychological impact of diagnosis can also have an impact on the motivation to return to work.
- the information applies to general fitness to work for people below 60 years of age without other significant disability. This information is only a guide to doctors, who will need to consider the individual clinical circumstances when advising patients
- multiple morbidities are likely to prolong recovery
- Samuel AM, Wellwood JMcK. Fitness for work after surgery. In Palmer KT, Cox RAF and Brown I. (Eds) Fitness for Work 4th edn. Oxford University Press, Oxford 2007 pp 467-486.
- http://www.workingfit.com (accessed 3/9/2013)
Last reviewed 07/2021